Update: The Resolution is Here!
Ugh. This is my kitchen right now. I just emptied half of it and threw out all the consumable contents therein.
Awhile back, I brought a package of macaroni home from a discount food store and when I cooked it a bunch of little ant-like beetles floated to the surface of the water.
EW EW EW EW EW!!
Ahem, excuse me. Well, ever since that fateful day, sometimes I will pull a package of pasta, grain, or bean out of that cupboard and find it infested. When this happens, I check whatever's around it, too, and usually it's just the one item. I put an ant trap up there to see if it would do anything.
Today, mouthwatering, I pulled out a box of "potatoes au gratin" because it seemed like it would be the most delicious thing in the world. Dumped the two bags inside onto the counter, and the sauce powder was crawling with these bugs.
So I threw it out, went to the cupboard to check other things out. . .And threw out package after package after package.
The whole cupboard was crawling.
I filled three garbage bags. Goodbye flour. Goodbye beans. Goodbye rice. Goodbye pasta. Goodbye chocolate chips, sprinkles, and other baking goodies.
I guess they must be some sort of grain beetle because they leave the sweets mostly alone.
HELP! Make them go away!
These dudes need to be gone, and be gone now. Here are the steps I have taken:
- Emptied the infested cupboard and the surrounding area.
- Threw out all of the packages visibly infested, and all the ones that weren't air-tight and could be.
- Sprayed those cupboards positively wet with insecticide. (A "crawling insect" Hot Shot I had on hand. Okay, so I know insecticides in food cupboards are not a good idea, but I don't care if I'm poisoned as long as these bugs are.)
- Put the packages I kept into plastic bags to see if anything emerges over the next few days.
- Threw out the drawer liners as well.
Well, not really number 6. But I think I will have to go out to eat tonight because, as you can see, there is no getting around my kitchen. And there is hardly any food left in it even if I could.
Ei yi yi. Have you ever had grain beetles keep coming back?
How did you get rid of them??
If this expunging and spraying doesn't work, I do not know what I will do, but it will be desperate.